Friday, May 30, 2008

**Breaking News**: Crisis at the AMB, or, The Tale of the Allergist's Patient


Dear Mouse,

PART I - GRIEF

Oh. My. God.

It's been said that absence makes the Hart grow fonder, that all love must be tested or it cannot know its power, that faith without doubt is a dead faith, and other pronouncements as well. I have to believe in this. I have to believe that the little curve balls The Divine likes to throw our way just when we think we've got it made are His/Her way of saying They Love Us.

No, I am not talking about my personal life. Or, well, yes, I am!! because what could be more personal to a Hart than what she puts in her body. (I am leaving that sentence as-is. Don't even say it.)

I'll make this brief as it is almost too horrifying to be true.

I, the Boo, Food Blogger and devoted Patron of All Things Tasty, have recently been to the doctor. Ok,the Naturopath,for allergy/nutrition advice. VERY highly recommended, as you know, by two of our gorgeous friends, now healed from chronic conditions and glowing enviably. Similarly plagued, I decided to follow in their footsteps.

One consultation, a blood test, and a 'wellness plan' later,the results came back.

PART II - ADVENTURE/DETERMINATION

I am about to embark on a restricted diet the likes of which I have never attempted before. Usuallly, I have the staying power of a candle in the wind (I tried the "Master Cleanser" once for four hours and then had a sandwich) BUT this time,I am determined.

Here is where you,and the slowly-building AMB community, come in.

STARTING MONDAY,I will embark on the prescribed Elimination Diet below. I will post reports of my progress and creative new recipes as I go. Most importantly, I will be accountable to you all for sticking to it. I need your help and encouragement and bad jokes.

PART III: THE PLEDGE

I, The Boo, do solemnly vow to

Abstain from my Major Allergens for FOUR MONTHS. These are:
DAIRY (all forms!!!)
PEANUTS & ALMONDS
EGGS
SOY
WHEAT
GLUTEN

& SUGAR (only agave nectar or stevia. But I forget for how long on this one)

Abstain from the following for ONE WEEK to test, after which I will add each back in one at a time:
TOMATOES
CITRUS
POTATOES
EGGPLANT
PEPPERS
CORN
WINE

Saving graces: coffee ok. most alcohol ok. other nuts ok. olive oil ok. rice pasta ok.

Send your recipes,your thoughts, your encouragements, and remind me it's not forever. I'll let you know how it goes. For breakfast I had a baguette with brie cheese and tomato...a swan song, if you will.

Love,
The Boo

No comments: